1. Initiate payment through the app
To take a payment you need to first start in the app. Tap take payment at the bottom of the app and enter the metered amount including all tolls, fees charges and levies and then tap calculate.
The app will then add the 5% credit card surcharge and display the total amount on the screen. Tap pay by card and then follow the prompts on the screen of the vx690 terminal.
2. Tap, insert, or swipe the card
When prompted by the Verifone vx690 you can either tap or insert the passenger's card. Occasionally you may also be instructed to swipe the passenger's card (some international cards still have this requirement).
3. Pay attention to the payment result
If the receipt displays APPROVED 000 payment has been successfully processed and you can let the passenger leave.
Some cards (particularly those issued outside Australia) may require a signature. Pay attention to the instructions on screen.
IMPORTANT: The "Signature OK?" and "Would you like a customer receipt" screens are similar. If prompted for a signature and you press "NO", the payment will be reversed and you will not get paid for the trip.
There are many reasons why a card can be declined. You may see things like:
- (100) DO NOT HONOUR
- (116) CONTACT ISSUER
- (117) INCORRECT PIN
In these cases, you will need to try again or take payment from the passenger using another card. These response codes indicate a problem with the card or the account.
OTHER RESPONSE CODES
- (109) INVALID MERCHANT - If you have a brand new vx690, there can occasionally be a 24-48 hour delay in the ability to support payments through American Express (AMEX). Contact us if the problem persists more than 24-48 hours after collecting a new vx690.
- (415) DECLINED - Comms Error. The cellular network signal isn't strong enough, try moving a little then re-trying the transaction.
- (432) DECLINED - Connection Error. These should only occur rarely. Try restarting the vx690 and let us know if the problem persists.
- (906) DECLINED - Retry Transaction. This usually indicates that the method of insertion (tap, insert or swipe) isn't supported by that card. Try an alternative.
Your copy of the receipt will be printed automatically. Please confirm the payment was successful.
The Verifone vx690 will prompt you to print a customer receipt.
WARNING: If you are able to access payments on the vx690 terminal without using the app first DO NOT TAKE PAYMENT. You will not be paid unless you start the payment in the app first.