Christmas has passed and you’ve had more than your fair share of turkey and ham, but the silly season is far from over. With New Year's Eve (NYE) just around the corner, things are about to get very busy. NYE presents a great opportunity to work, with thousands of people in and around the city. Navigating these crowds is the key, so we’ve made a list of all the road closures to make your night a little easier.
Sydney’s fireworks display is based around the harbour area, meaning road closures are in force on both sides of the harbour. With the Harbour Bridge closing at 11pm, it’s a good idea to be in the city before this time. Just for NYE lockouts will not apply for the CBD meaning the city should stay busy all through the night!
Sydney Road Closures:
- 2pm roads in The Rocks and Circular Quay
- 7pm major roads north of Liverpool Street
- 8.30pm to 9.30pm and 11.30pm to 1.30am Anzac Bridge and Western Distributor (citybound direction only)
- by 11pm city is locked down, with all roads north of Goulburn Street closed
- 11pm to 1.30am Sydney Harbour Bridge closed
Melbourne’s fireworks display was designed to be viewed from any part of the city. However, this doesn’t mean the CBD will be quiet, with heavily crowded areas expected around Princes Bridge, Southbank and Flinders Street Station.
Main Road Closures:
- Swanston Street / St Kilda Road, Flinders Street, Collins Street, Exhibition Street, Southbank Boulevard, Flinders Lane, Little Collins Street, Elizabeth Street from 6pm - 3am
Full road closures:
Brisbane’s fireworks display is focused along the Brisbane river, with main viewing areas around South Bank Parklands, Portside Wharf, Howard Smith Wharves, Eagle Street Pier, Riverside Centre, Waterfront Place, Kangaroo Point Cliffs, Captain Burke Park, Wilson Outlook Reserve.
- Ernest Street, between Grey Street and Little Stanley Street, Russell Street, between Grey Street and South Bank Parklands, Stanley Street and Cultural Centre loop, between Melbourne Street and access to the Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC) Car Park from 6am to 2am.
- Colchester Street, Ernest Street, between Merivale Street and Little Stanley Street, Grey Street, between Peel Street and Vulture Street, Hope Street, between Peel Street and Melbourne Street, Little Dock Street, between Dock Street and Stanley Street, Melbourne Street, between Cordelia Street and Victoria Bridge, Stanley Street, between Little Dock Street and Sidon Street, Sidon Street, between Stanley Street and South Bank Parklands, Tribune Street, between Merivale Street and Little Stanley Street from 4pm until 2am
- Little Stanley Street, from Glenelg Street to Tribune Street until 3pm 1/1/2020
Adelaide fireworks display is into three separate locations, City of Adelaide fireworks at Elder Park, New Year's Eve at the Bay, Glenelg and Brighton Foreshore and Semaphore Beach Fireworks, Port Adelaide. Each area provides live entertainment and food and drinks, meaning they will all be busy by the time the clock strikes midnight.
- King William Road, North Adelaide, between North Terrace and War Memorial Drive, King William Street, Adelaide, between North Terrace and Currie Street, Victoria Drive, Adelaide, between Kintore Avenue and King William Road from 3pm to 2am.
- North Terrace, Adelaide, between Victoria Street and King William Road from 9pm to 1am.
- King William Road, North Adelaide, between North Terrace and Pennington Terrace, Montefiore Hill, North Adelaide, between Montefiore Road, Palmer Place and Pennington Terrace, Montefiore Hill, North Adelaide, between Palmer Place and King William Road, Sir Edwin Smith Avenue, North Adelaide, between King William Road and Kermode Street, War Memorial Drive, North Adelaide, between King William Road/Sir Edwin Smith Avenue Intersection and 180 metres East from 8:30pm to 11pm (for the Big Bash Cricket).
Perth’s fireworks are spread throughout the city with events set up at Applecross, Cannington, City Beach, Crown, East Perth, Gloucester Park, Mandurah, Mindarie, Northbridge, Rockingham and Rottnest Island.
9:00am until 5:00am
- James Street Cul-de-sac east of William Street
4:00pm until 5:00am
- The Horse Shoe Bridge between Wellington Street and Roe Street
- William Street between Roe Street and Francis Street
- Roe Street between Nicks Lane and Beaufort Street
- James Street between William Street and Parker Street
- Lake Street between Roe Street and Francis Street